Thanks Keith.  Actually, i've made some progress.  I'm now able to create
AVI movies from the live camera stream, however they don't seem to have
any sound (just a lot of white noise).  I'm actually using 'streamer'
which comes with xawtv (surprisingly, since xawtv seems to refuse to
record AVI movies from its GUI front end).

I'm working on getting mjpegtools installed, but it seems to have a list
of dependencies longer than KDE   :)

Anyhoo, which version of mjpegtools are you using?  I tried to build the
'unstable' 1.6.0, but it kept bombing out during the compile.  So now i'm
concentrating on the stable 1.4.x instead.

At any rate, this site seems to have alot of really kewl SxS-like
material:
http://machineofthemonth.org/articles/index.html

including instructions on how to create high quality VCD's under Linux.