Scribbling feverishly on April 25, Net Llama! managed to emit:

[...]

> Excellent, thanks guys.  Next question is what are the correct ownership
>   & permissions for all of these devices (dsp, mixer, audio)?  The 2
> sets listed above aren't identical.  I'm *NOT* using KDE, just xfce, so
> I think that the whole take and give scripts aren't applicable (although
> i could be wrong).

Good question. I wonder if the permissions vary from distro to distro?
I'm using Slackware 8.0 and the commercial 4Front drivers - they just
work and I've had my license for a long time. I don't know what
David's using, but I *do* think it depends on how your distro sets up
permissions at boot.

Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology:
        There's always one more bug.