On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:31:28 -0400 (EDT)
begin  Net Llama! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:

[snip]

> > This problem (of bttv having sound but nothing else) is because you're
> > it working, then load bttv and all will be well.  I got bit once by
> > this nasty bug (when I upgraded to 3.1.1).
>
> Which "sound" are you referring to here?  The modules for the soundcard,
> or the usb audio module?

I don't have any USB stuff.  But during the 3.1.1 upgrade, I suddenly lost
all sound except for the bttv module (i.e., I had sound in xawtv, but not
with xmms, etc.).  When I loaded aumix, I only had two controls.

So I unloaded _all_ modules that had to do with sound and reloaded them,
but installing the normal sound modules first.  That fixed aumix.  Then I
loaded bttv (and associated modules) and saw that everything had sound.  I
also noticed the modules for sound and bttv-sound were loaded in reversed
order in lsmod.  Experimenting proved to me that the normal sound modules
must load first or the bttv-sound modules grab everything and normal sound
is unusable.

It's possible there's also a loading order needed with the USB sound
modules, but I have no way to test this.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                -- Nemesis Racing Team motto