Jerry McBride wrote:
> I just grabbed a copy of kernel version 2.5.10 and thought I'd see how the
> progress has been. Prior to 2.5.10 I was running 2.5.7 on pretty much
> everything I own, aside from my personal lan server.
>
> Anyways... it sucks.
>
> I'm sure the efforts put into the new kernel tree are well worth the time.
> I mean after all, this will eventually end up being "TNG" and all... but
> WOW! There's something wrong when a humble guy, like my self, has to wade
> into the make files with a text editor and fix stupid syntax errors,
> misspellings and left behind garbage, before the damn thing will even
> begin to compile. Then there's those multiple modules that simply refuse
> to compile no matter how much error correcting is done...
>
> Is this progress?
>
> It's really a frustrating mess. I sent a few emails echoing my...
> disgust... but like I expected no answers. If the maintainers/programmers
> would spend a little more time running their "stuff" through a technical
> spelling/syntax checker, there'd be a lot less heart ache for guys like
> myself.
>
> It's a lot like having to compound the finish on a Rolls Royce when it
> should have been polished from the factory anway...

I think your'e missing the entire point of the unstable tree.  Its not
there solely for people to play with the assorted new features that get
thrown in.  And no where is there any promise of stability or usability.
  A Rolls Royce is akin to the 2.4.x tree, not the 2.5.x tree.  There
were *alot* of 2.3.x kernels that were completely and utterly broken,
and were basically released simply because some folks needed to test how
well some new code integrated into the tree.