On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 02:22:28PM -0400, Tim Wunder wrote:

>Hmmm... cheap=$180? For a simple router? Suppose the OP has an old PC
>laying around doing nothing that costs $0, and a coupla 10 MB NICs that
>cost $0. Is spending $180 still cheap?

It is if they're paying me $150/hour to do the work.  It's also very
expensive for a business if they're offline for some reason because the old
hardware goes south on them.

As I said in my original post, if you're doing it as a hobby, or for the
educational value, then building a router out of old parts works fine.
Setting up LRP routers is an educational experience, particularly if you
want to run something out of the ordinary.  On the other hand, if I have a
customer who needs to connect their employees to their office with a VPN,
it's far easier to use one of these boxes which they can configure
themselves with a few minutes phone conversation, and it Just Works(tm).

Bill

``UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop you from doing clever things.'' -- Doug Gwyn