Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
> Thanks for the input - comments inline
> Net Llama! wrote:
>>So, that brings me back to Redhat, which is what i've settled on.
>>RedHat seems to be leaning more towards stability these days.  I think
>>they might have realized that if they want to hold onto their market
>>share, they need to meet the needs of the enterprise, not the needs to
>>the l33t script kiddies.  I've got 6 desktop boxes (counting the 2
>>laptops), and Redhat occupies 4 of them.  Overall i tend to break away
>>from the redhat-isms and install things the way i like them.
>

> When you say break away from the redhat-isms what does that entail?  This

Just that i don't blindly use all the RPMs that Redhat provides.

> worries me in that I can end up with a "non-standard" system and have
> trouble later.  Although I have experience with many OSs - including
> various unixes - that's been a long time ago and I'm trying to get back
> into it (I'm VMS, Windows world now) and although I will eventually get
> into the nittty-gritty details I need a system I can get up and running and
> then play with later.  I'll be building a workstation and a server shortly
> so this is a good time to see if I need to stay with Caldera.
>
> One concern expressed about Caldera was that they left things out - what
> about RH - is everything there.  And what is everything?  So far I haven't
> missed much on Caldera but then I haven't done much except build some apps.
>  I know Caldera has been slow on updates but that hasn't been a problem to
> me.

That is a plus with RH, in that just about everything is avaiable.  You
name it, and odds are there's a Redhat compatible RPM out there for it.
Lately (like in the past 4 months or so), i don't install RPMs at all, i
always go with SRPMs, or source tarballs, and install them with
checkinstall generated RPMs.