On Sun, 12 May 2002 23:01:57 -0400
begin  dep <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:

> hey, gang!
>
> y'know what the world needs? yet another linux distribution!
>
> now, i admit that you might attribute this notion to the fact that i'm
> on some pretty fearsomely effective painkillers at the moment due to
> a physician who probably should have been a meat packer, but hear me
> out.
[snip]

Well, I have my distro, "Chiriqui Linux", based somewhat loosely on LFS
(Linux From Scratch).  I keep it small so I can boot and run off a CD
(even run without a hard disk), but it has X 4.2.0 and a whole bunch of
other things I use a lot.  I use it for my wireless access points, and
more.  Doesn't have KDE, but I don't use that anyway.  My laptop has been
running this for a while now.  I split the disk into two big chunks,
update one chunk, run from that, and in a couple of months I update the
other chunk and run from that.  I take care of all the little details too
(like the pcmcia includes from the pcmcia-cs package being copied to the
kernel, etc.).

My system, though, has no install method, no package update method (other
than recompile and reinstall).  Everything is scripted, so I just start
the scripts and let it run.  If I need to update a package, I just update
the reference to the package and run the compile/install script.

So it can be done, but it's a lot of work (or just a lot of time d/l
package sources and letting the install scripts run).

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                -- Nemesis Racing Team motto