On Tuesday 14 May 2002 11:54 am, David A. Bandel wrote:
> On Tue, 14 May 2002 09:45:13 -0700
> begin  Aaron Grewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Have any of you produced RPMS based on LSB (http://www.linuxbase.org)?
> > It seems to me that if it was practical, we might get the most mileage
> > out of a distro focused on compliance to the current standard.  That way
> > any RPMS produced would run on any LSB-compliant distro.  Since I've
> > never produced an RPM based on the standard I'm not sure how complicated
> > it would be, so I'm interested in whether or not this could reasonably
> > be done.  It would make it easy (or easier, anyway) to move between
> > "base" distros if we found that the one initially chosen was less than
> > adequate._______________________________________________
>
> I see several problems here, most stemming from glibc, the kernel, and
> other library versions.
>
> Ciao,
>
> David A. Bandel

I think I understand what you're saying, in that the versions specified by LSB
are not anywhere near current.  If I understand correctly how most distros
handle this there's a set of LSB libs separate from the main system
libraries.  If our supporting RPMS were all LSB-compliant (where possible,
sometimes we could not do this for technical reasons) then in theory we would
have a very portable set of RPMS that should run anywhere there was a
matching LSB environment.  That doesn't make a distro, but I think it would
be a better place to start than customizing tightly around an existing
distro.