That is a laborious process in Postscript proper.  The primitives are there
to support it, but the real work is usually done by the application program
that emits the postscript file.  This makes sense, because the application
knows how it wants it done, and there are a remarkable number of different
ways to do it, when you take kerning and such into account.

The relevant primitves are (besides knowing the font metrics for the font
you're using) are the 'width' and 'moveto' operators.  You find out how
wide a given string will be when printed, then add space until the size is
just right, then emit the line.  Usually an application will precompute all
this, then just emit the 'moveto' and 'show' operators.  All the operators
I put in 'primes' have several variants.

My advice: don't try to do it in Postscript unless you're really ready
for a steep learning curve.  You'd be a bit better off modifying enscript,
especially if you're outputting a constant-width font like Courier.

++ kevin

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 05:44:38PM -0400, Joel Hammer wrote:
> Does anyone know how to produce justified text in a postscript document?
> It sounds simple, but there is no reference to this option in enscript, and
> the two postscript manuals I downloaded from the internet don't have the
> word "justify" in them.
> Any insight appreciated,
> Joel

Kevin O'Gorman  (805) 650-6274  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Permanent e-mail forwarder:  mailto:Kevin.O'[EMAIL PROTECTED]
At school: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~kogorman/index.html
Web: http://kosmanor.com/~kevin/index.html

"Life is short; eat dessert first!"