"Skippy" (Keith Antoine) wrote inter alia:

> Also I have Suse 8.0 and , _CANNOT_ get the dvd drive to be seen as ide-scsi
> tried practically everything to no avail, assist please. As most know I wrote
> the original SxS on this but Suse is a 'Bast***'. I even got it seen in
> Mandrake's latest but not this one. Oh, yes! it sees the writer ok. Umm I
> seem to have killed sr1, whats the call for remaking that, but it says that
> scd1 and sr2 do not exist but they do in /dev.

I am interested in the answer too.  At the risk of starting a small bush
fire, I'd suggest cease flagellating yourself
with SuSE and try a nice Debian like Libranet.

Case in point: I dloaded xcdroast alpha 10 and ancillary libs for SuSE
8.0.  They installed OK, but even with the
"no-root" option selected SuSE 8.0 refuses to let me run xcdroast in
user.

I then dloaded alpha 10 and ancillary libs from Debian.org and installed
it in Libranet 2.0.2.  It works fine.
And it recognizes my DVD as a SCSI device.

--
Leon A. Goldstein