On Wednesday 22 May 2002 08:28 am, Tim Wunder wrote:
<snip>
> At this point, I'm back to using xcdroast :-(

I just burned my first audio CD with Arson, a KDE3-based app,
http://arson.sourceforge.net/
and it seems to do a fine job. I even got it to run as an ordinary user
without too much difficulty. It appears to be highly configurable, giving
each user the ability to control which programs are used for rippping,
writing audio, writing data, etc. I've only buned the 1 audio CD with it,
though. So I'll reserve final judgement.

On a related note. Is anyone using xcdroast-0.98-Alpha-10, or
cdrecord-1.11-a23 (required by xcdroast Alpha 10)?

I ran into a peculiar problem with xcdroast in that it would burn audio OK,
and the resulting disks were playable, but I couldn't navigate the tracks
with ordinary CD players. I had a 13 track CD where trying to navigate past
track 1 resulted in errors ranging from the CD player choking and spitting
out the CD to just sitting there doing nothing. When the CD was played
continuously from track 1, all the songs played. Another oddity was that all
songs after song 1 were listed as song 2. This happened with 3 separate CDs,
all burned in DAO mode. The CDs are perfectly navigable when using the CD
player in a PC, though. Burning in TAO mode resulted in unusable burns (hence
the attempt to try Arson). Weird...

Arson works, but it's using cdrdao to record audio, whereas xcdroast is using
cdrecord. So I don't really know if the problem lies with xcdroast, or
cdrecord.

Regards,
Tim

--
Caldera eWorkstation 3.1+, kernel 2.4.18-preempt, KDE 3.0.1, Xfree86 4.1.0
  8:00pm  up  2:54,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00