----- Original Message -----
From: "James McDonald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2002 4:57 AM
Subject: Problem with a RH7.2 network connection

> The problem that I am having is if I try to connect to this box from any
of
> the other machines on my LAN using any OS it doesn't respond but if I ping
> the machine I am trying to connect from the rh.7.2 box I can then connect.
> Running the iptables --list tells me all my filter rules are open and set
> accept... and I have added the ANY key word to my /etc/hosts.allow.

For now, turn *off* your firewall, backup your hosts.allow and .deny files
and use empty ones.  Also make sure your /etc/hosts file has listing of all
your networked computers.  Then try connecting and see if that works.  If
not, a service may not be running or configured correctly.  If you get that
working, then start turning on or configuring each security service back on
one by one to see if anything there is stopping it.

Mike