Hi Rick,

ddd uses screen scraper technology, and as a result you can expect
limitations.   To do what you want you will probably have to resort to
the command line version of the debugger (gdb ?).

Assuming gdb, you should use the "display" command, then next/step/run.
Whem  process execution stops, you'll see the value of your variable.
I realize that the terminal version of any debugger is not ideal, as
most developers want to see their source code.  But this may be the
only way to see the "truth".

Some debuggers have a GUI that is integrated (remember SunOS's
dbxtool?), and using it will give you what you want.  But if you are
using ddd to interface to gdb, you will see problems I would bet.

Now, not to "blow my own horn", but I know this becusue I have been a
c/c++ developer on debuggers since 1997 and understand the issues very
well.

DDD is great, but would, understandably have limitations because it is
a screen scraper and not initimately tied to the debugger it is
running.

So, to do what you want, using a command line debugger (assuming gdb):
    (gdb) br <whatever>
    (gdb) run [args]
    .... stoped somewhere...
    (gdb) display <whatever>
    (gdb) br <somwehere>
    (gdb) cont

This will give you the information you want.  If you want to futher
discuss debugger/compiler issues, contact me offline.

HTH,

-- Sue

---------"Richard R. Sivernell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> worte:

List

    I am trying to use ddd to debug some c++ code. I have
figured most of it out. But displaying variable, objects and
other values ads they are changed is a real challenge here. Does
anyone know how I set the variable I wish to view their content.
I try the print() & display with the right mouse click. nothing shows
up in the data window, will stuff does display, just nothing that I
want. Any help would be appreciated. I will send anything need
to check mysetting.

cheers
--
Rick Sivernell