On Monday 11 November 2002 04:31 am, Mark Heinrich espoused:
> I'm going to build a new computer soon (after I get the parts for X-mas -
> grin) and would like to try a new distribution with it as well.  This will
> be for a family computer that has scanner (parallel port) and ink jet
> printer (usb).  I'd like something that will configure the hardware
> automatically.  The installer should work without any problems.
>
> The hardware I'm thinking about is AMD XP 1700 - 1.47 GHz CPU with a
> Shuttle AK32L Socket-A XP motherboard.  Any comments on the CPU or MB?  How
> about a video card recommendation (would like 3d capability).  TIA
>
> Mark

Umm, How does one become honest in the extreme in regard to OS installations.
As far as I am concerned all installations no matter what OS can and do have
problems over a period of time. So configuring the hardware automatically and
having the installation proceedure work WITHOUT _ANY_ problems is problematic
in itself.

It is mandatory with linux that you are familiar with your computer, both
hardwarewise and with its idiosyncrasies. Also with partitioning and install
terms of the particular distribution; for a newbie they can be frustrating.
Do not expect it to be windows like.

Having said all that Caldera, even if it has been dropped is easy, and to a
degree is Mandrake and Suse, hear lycoris is simple and XP like. You will get
other commendations from others too. Be careful when we say is 'simple' or
'easy' as that is relative to experience too, many here are longterm users.

One thing I will say its far easier tha even 18 months ago, and if you
persevere and catch the bug; remember its very addictive is out Linux.

--
Keith Antoine (GANDALF) aka 'skippy'
18 Arkana St, The Gap, Queensland 4061 Australia PH:61733002161