On Monday 11 November 2002 10:19 am, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I don't see a SxS for digital cameras, and I'm not having much luck
> figuring out how to download my pictures under Linux.  Under Windoze,
> the camera just appears as a storage device.
>
> This is one of the 3 reasons that keep me using Windoze.  The other
> main one is the inability of wine to properly handle file selection
> for the Hexy game.  I also run Win4Lin for Quicken.  I would love
> to get past all 3 and get rid of all this dual-booting.
>
> ++ kevin

1.  Check out gphoto and the website associated with it to see if your
camera is listed as being supported.  Then you can plug the sucker in
and talk to it like in windoze.

2.  The other option (which I like) is to read the memory card with a
card reader which mounts just like a hard disk.  Then you don't have to
suck the camera batteries.  My camera has a CompactFlash card and
others have a SmartMedia card.  You can get a reader that will read
both kinds of cards from SanDisk or Dazzle (the one I have).  They cost
$30 or less and plug into your usb port.  You do a little fussing (I
can give you my notes) and the thing appears as a SCSI device and you
can read from and write to it.  Your photos appear in whatever format
they were saved.  If your camera saves as jpegs, you get jpegs which
you can open in Konqueror or with gimp, etc.

3.  Talk to the llllllamadude; he's an expert on something called TyGeMo
that does cameras.

--
Tony Alfrey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]