On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:14:42 -0800
Bill Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 08:55:37PM +0100, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> >Despite the claims, all cameras do not appear as hard disks. The chipset
> >that Nikon use in their CoolPix series, and that is used in many other
> >cameras (it is not made by Nikon) implement a unique protocol that must
> >be implemented to access the files on the camera. For this camera, at
> >least, gphoto simply does not work as advertised. I have spent lots of
> >time with it. I wound up sticking to the memory cards. Life is too
> >short...
>
> If one puts their flash memory cards in a standard USB or PCMCIA
> reader, do they show up normally?

For my camera at least, yes. It is a FAT file system. The main thing to
beware of is that, for some cameras, if you modify an image and put it back
on the card, the camera may not recognize it. This is especially true of
JFIF (jpeg usually) files. Programs like Photoshop add and take away
headers. For some cameras, if the header they look for is not there, they
don't see the image. But the cards are the only way I can use my camera.
Not really a problem, but I was looking forward to using gphoto (the program
- NOT the library - big distinction) with the camera. Live and learn.

--
| Roger Oberholtzer          |   E-mail:        [EMAIL PROTECTED] |