The downside to the $200.00 Walmart PC is that it has a VIA C3, and 128MB of memory--part of which it steals for video. And it may not have an AGP slot to add a different card. However, the same box is available with Lycoris or no OS, or for another $100.00 with WinXP home. I think it will go to 1GB of memory, and there are still decent PCI video cards out there.

Walmart also sells systems with Mandrake, but not the cheap one. Their higher-end systems seem not to be priced quite so irresistibly, and still use onboard shared-RAM video.

I have to second Lonni's criticism of Tiger, though must admit to being one of those who has had good luck with them. It comes from their originally (and still to some extent) being a vendor of surplus merchandise. The "house brand" (Systemax) PCs they sell are also available from Global Computer Supplies (http://www.globalcomputer.com/main/home.jsp). And the Vision systems are available direct--though on their site you have to be careful or you get redirected to Tiger.

At 09:18 AM 12/13/02 -0500, Douglas J Hunley wrote:

Bill Day spewed electrons into the ether that resembled:
> I would consider TigerDirect route as well... I have been fairly pleases
> with items I have gootne from there.

check out
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=106560&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A41937%3A86796%3A106562%3A10650

walmart.com now sells Lindows pcs for $200

- --
Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net) - Linux User #174778
Admin: Linux StepByStep - http://www.linux-sxs.org
        and http://jobs.linux-sxs.org

Stuart Biggerstaff

Linda Hall Library of Science Engineering & Technology
5109 Cherry St.
Kansas City, MO 64110

Phone:  (816) 926-8748
        (800) 662-1545 x748