Most likely some configuration in the panel is screwed up and sporatically
causes kicker to die.  The easiest way I have found to restart kicker (as
occasionally it will freeze and I'll have to kill it) is:

Alt-F2
kicker

Some things won't come back ON the kicker panel until you log in again
(like Klipper and other Tray items), but this will give her the menu again
so you can navigate, etc...
I think this is a (or several minor) KDE2 bugs.  KDE3 does seem to have
much better stability for most things.  I don't think I've seen Kicker
misbehaving in KDE3.  I'd look at ungrading my COL311 boxes, but I don't
know whether the KControl plugins would work or show up and I value them
too much.
Perhaps someone on this list might be able to comment on this.  Does
anyone know how to plug in the System modules for KControl like Caldera
does with KDE2 for COL311?