On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Tim Wunder wrote:
> On 12/19/2002 11:02 PM, someone claiming to be Net Llama! wrote:
> > Yes, you can have up to 8 desktops in XFCE.  Go to xfce.org and take a
> > look at the screenshots.
> >
> > Also another plus for XFCE, that hasn't yet been mentioned here is that
> > its damn easy to build.  There's one tarball, about 4MB in size that has
> > everything in it, and building that tarball as an RPM is easy too.
> >

> OK, I'm willing to try XFCE again. Is there a RH8 RPM for it (or a SRPM I could
>use)? None is referenced at xfce.org. I *did* find a Mandrake SRPM at
>www.rpmfind.net, I believe the RPMs provided at xfce.org are for Mandrake.

XFCE is distro agnostic, although many distros do build/provide unofficial
RPMs.  That said, you can download an official source tarball, RPM or SRPM
from the xfce website (just follow the download link).  You'll want the
3.8.18 version (4.x is still beta).  Rebuilding the SRPM is a cake walk.
The only semi-non-standard deps are glib-1.2.x and gtk+-1.2.x, and you'll
most likely have them both already if Gnome came with your distro.

> Is there a SxS for installing XFCE from source?
> <time passes>
> There seems to be one, but it's somewhat dated, http://www.linux-sxs.org/wmxf.html.
>Perhaps one of you XFCE lovers have notes that could serve as a SxS?

Quite honestly there's no need for one:
rpm --rebuild xfce-3.8.18.src.rpm

After you install the resulting binary RPM, run xfce_setup to make it the
default window manager for each user, and xfce_upgrade if you've run a
previous version of XFCE on the box before.  That's it, you're done.