Feigning erudition, Matthew Carpenter wrote:
% How many stock bootloaders like XFS these days?  That's been one of the bigger
problems with switching filesystems in the past.  I'd have to have an older boot
partition and store data on the new FS...  Which still causes problems since the
system and config is not on the super-duper filesystem.

Who cares? LILO doesn't understand XFS, ext2, ext3, or minix. It just has
to know where on the disk the file it needs to boot is located. Awareness
of the underlying filesystem is one of GRUB's nice features, to be sure,
but LILO's approach makes it more filesystem-agnostic.

% And I'm sorry, but I am still of the opinion that for my purposes I am better off
using as much distro-stock as possible.

I didn't read that anyone was arguing for a super-modified distro, just
suggesting that you roll your own kernel. Unless you're paying your
distro vendor for support and they won't support you unless you keep
your system stock -- thereby begging the question of why you're paying for
support in the first place -- I see little value in sticking to the options
and choices the vendor made for you.

Kurt
--
"First things first -- but not necessarily in that order"
                -- The Doctor, "Doctor Who"