Sory for the long wait before this reply.  It's been crazy to say the least.

begin  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Mon, 23 Dec 2002 18:38:05 -0500)

> Who cares? LILO doesn't understand XFS, ext2, ext3, or minix. It just has
> to know where on the disk the file it needs to boot is located. Awareness
> of the underlying filesystem is one of GRUB's nice features, to be sure,
> but LILO's approach makes it more filesystem-agnostic.

You are correct.  Especially in the "nice features" comment.  That's one reason I like
and still use Grub.  While LILO has become every bit as pretty as GRUB, GRUB is still
more flexible, and over time is understanding more and more filesystems.

> % And I'm sorry, but I am still of the opinion that for my purposes I am better off
>using as much distro-stock as possible.
>
> I didn't read that anyone was arguing for a super-modified distro, just
> suggesting that you roll your own kernel. Unless you're paying your
> distro vendor for support and they won't support you unless you keep
> your system stock -- thereby begging the question of why you're paying for
> support in the first place -- I see little value in sticking to the options
> and choices the vendor made for you.

I understand your opinion.  I know that one of Linux's great strengths is in its
flexibility (see above comments) and customizeability (is that a word?).  But without
an exceptional reason (eg. a special purpose machine can't do it's special purpose) I
value the assumptions I can make about a system which has not been too drastically
altered.  I also value the ability to make security changes nearly immediately using
Vendor-provided RPM's rather than having to get the patch, add it to the .spec file
(since I attempt to do very little installation which is not based on an package), rpm
-ba (and wait), and hope it all worked out ok.

I have always respected your opinion, Kurt, and I continue to do so... I think here
I'll just agree to disagree, based on values.

--
Matthew Carpenter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                          http://www.eisgr.com/

Enterprise Information Systems
*Network Consulting, Integration & Support
*Web Development and E-Business