On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Marvin P. Dickens wrote:
> (1) DISABLING SWAP SPACE
>
> Many programs run best without a swap space. With memory sizes increasing and hard
>drives still rotating at the same rate they were spinning in 1998, swap spaces are
>pointless (If you have the RAM... ). The question then is how to make Linux run
>without a swap space since all distributions like to install them by default. (It's
>funny.... I remember when the caldera disto installed a swap, but did not activate
>it... The user community went nuts) Theoretically you should be able to do:

I beg to differ.  AFAIK back in 1998 there were no drives in production
that had 15k, or even 10k RPMs.  Or are you ignoring the existence of SCSI
drives?

> Then recompile the kernel. As a side note, I know alot of people do not want to run
>a system without a swap space. However, If you've got more than 750MB of ram in your
>system the chances are you're never gonna use a swap space.

All recent 2.4.x kernels consume physical memory before going to swap.
That said, completely disabling swap sounds like a recipe for disaster, as
the kernel will start randomly terminating processing that are fighting
for memory that doesn't exist.