Oops, read failure on my part.  You should be able to open the Makefile
and find the KERNELRELEASE= line.  Look at the variables and see what's
there.  I suspect you may find that EXTRAVERSION has been modified by
your previous kernel patch.  Since patch didn't find what it expected (a
blank entry for EXTRAVERSION) it wouldn't apply the hunk.  You may want
to add "-xfs" at the end of whatever's already there, or not.  Your
choice.  This stuff is purely cosmetic, to allow you to label your own
kernel in whatever way you please.  In short, this should not harm the
compile.  Go for it.