Tim,

COuld only get it to compile if I _did not_ use my oldconfig. Then I lost
all the modules that I had with 2.4.18-18.8.0, even though I thought I
had checked all to be compiled. I think my problems lies with the modules-info
file that RH 8 uses. I was able to make the 2.4.20 initrd.img file and it
booted flawlessly, just none of my modules were installed. I did not do
a depmod -a , which is what I prolly should have done.  I will try again
tonight after I get home from my office(pediatrician in the winter...busy).