On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:35:09 -0500
Kurt Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Just a side note, my experience with 'make oldconfig' has been less
> > than stellar.  I found out the hard way that 'make oldconfig' would
> > change kernel options silently (sometimes built-in to modules, as I
> > remember), so I only use 'make oldconfig' to point out changes.
> > After getting burnt once, I now always save my existing config, use
> > 'make menuconfig', load the old version, make changes, save my
> > changes in the old place, then save the .config.
>
> That's precisely what "make oldconfig" is *supposed* to do, remember
> existing kernel options silently and only point out new configuration
> changes.

We're not on the same wavelength here, and it's been some time since I
experienced this.  One of my existing (and not a new function in the new
kernel) kernel choices (maybe it was Tulip support) got silently changed
from '*' (in my existing config) to 'M' (in the output config).  That's
not what I would call "remembering existing kernel options silently,"
but rather altering the existing kernel options silently!   eedless to
say, I was quite miffed when I booted the kernel, only to discover that
the kernel was not what I expected.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
Athlon-XP gentoo 1.4_rc2++ system