Greets Net Llama;

"Net Llama!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Since when is a P4 the same as IA64??

Isn't it? I've seen the progression of the hardware over the
years as this;

386-486     => 16 bit OS platforms/ 32 bit architecture
586-686-P3  => 32 bit OS platforms/ 64 bit architecture
P4- P5 - P6 => 64 bit OS platforms/ 128 bit architecture

http://cedar.intel.com/software/idap/media/pdf/LinuxQSG_Rev1.pdf

I was under this impression that since 1999 when Intel
released information for the Itanium/Pentium 4 for the
purposes of linux community to build a P4 functioning kernel
and start application building.

Wasn't it REDHAT introducing of a IA-64 coded OS that
worked on Pentium 4's before MS could produce for Windows
2000 OS for the same machines big news years ago?

And as I understand it, going from 32 bits to 64 bits
creates problems, and a OS developer has to start
from the ground all over again?

Software like GCC, GLIBC, have problems especially
with 'int' 'long' and  'pointers', just to start with.

I was under the impression problems were caused when
compiled applications will crash by recieving unexpected
negative values when a value is greater and outside the
range of smaller bit 'holder'.

Not all applications would crash and bomb, but I thought
it was a good idea to use 64 bit OS on a Pentium 4 or better,
which had 128 bit architecture to begin with.

Wasn't there was a big push from Linux OS developers to
have clients with a minimum OS platform of a Pentium
instead of a 486 with Kernel 2.2.13 and the
move to Glibc 2.1.3 along those very same lines?

I think I remember grumbling from even this list
when its members frequented the Caldera mail list there
about eDesktop and it's minimum requirements a few years back.

We've moved away from the i386/i486, which had 16 bit
OS and applications, Linus and the other developers
people went to the Pentium which could handle the 32 bit
platform.

The linux/GNU community has dropped and moved away for some
time supporting GCC 2.91, GlibC 2.1.X, and the machines
that they used could compile could that was understood by
the Pentium 1-2-3's.  But still all these machines are
all 32 bit OS running on them ( 64 architecture).

P4 is big monster, with 128 bit architecture.  The 64 bit OS
is now required to drive it.  A new, higher bit architecture
always requires a higher bit OS to drive it.

IA-64 OS should be able to run on a half decently built and
quick 2.0GHz or better Pent 4 machine, single CPU or no.

This year we should see a new minimal equipment requirement,
a Pentium 4 as a minimum machine, with 256MB ram, when Linus
starts introduction of Kernel 2.6.  ( say around 2.6.10 or so ).

Anyway, this is way, way, way off topic.

I am still under the opinion that M.C. simply has a CDROM
he burned that simply didn't burn quite right.

---tm---
Linux Registration Number; 184093,
http://counter.li.org