m.w.chang wrote:

AH.. FORGOT ABOUT MINIX! I did read about Mr. Trovald's story and forgot about that piece. lost marks in linux history... :(

and how did the guy crated minix? where is that very core bootdisk?
shouldn't linuxfromscratch begin from that very first bootdisk? :)

I think he meant, how do you create an OS when you have nothing.  Using
Knoppix is kinda cheating, cause you're using the OS to create the OS.
Linus didn't have Linux to self-host his original kernel.
right.. but he had minix.. which is where linux came from if Im not mistaken.. NOT that he took minix and hacked it into linux, but that he created linux ON minux..

Thats where xenix, sinix, and UNICS the grand-daddy come into play.. going back to 1969..

So yesterday I was talking to this guy here who worked at AT&T during the heyday and I said hey, what was before UNICS(yes it was a C)...Bob was one of the original at&t support guys.. just a wealth of knowledge, and yes BS.. [grin] Bob says, pulling up a chair getting ready to tell me a bedtime story.. That previous to any operating system as we know today there were routines programmed into computers of the time that did specific "things" They(users)accessed these routines by passing hex-data on keypad to them got results back then fed results to another routine until they got their answer.. if no routing existed they programmed these beasts with yet another routing.. enter kerrigan and ritchey, they decided to combine these routines and add some fluff to make computers easier to use.. shells, editors, etc..

then ol' bob and i had a discussion about what an operating system is.. IMHO and Bob agrees, its just the kernel, memory management, basic IO, etc.. Its not bash, vi, emacs, or whatever.. But, Im sure your opinions will vary..

anyway, so.. mr. chang.. unless you have a PDP11 laying around and want to re-invent the wheel.. why don't you pick a current linux or UNIX, or heck windows OS and create your own new and fresh OS.. there is LOTS of information about making kernels and operating systems. There are college classes that teach you this and people have written tons of books on the subject.

creating kernels is something I'm actually quite initerested in so the discussion on the roots of all of this was interesting. An _excellent_ book is "The Secret Garden Explained" no longer in print, but you can find it.. Further, lots of the ancient source code, (is that our IP?! heh) is availabe from SCO. Read it, understand it.. and then copy it and use it in your kernel.. JUST KIDDING.

you all have a great day-
jim