The core, by what I think you mean, the very first
kernel, probably doesn't exist anymore.

However, I do know that at ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/
has some of the original 0.99rc3 kernels.  I have seen them
there.

If you want, by all means, ftp them and
knock yourself out.

Rumour, from what I remember, is will only on
compile on specific compilier, that hasn't been used
for about 10 years.

I would think using something like KNOPPIX, SLACKWARE,
DEBAIN, or some other stable linux distro is your
best bet to create your own version of linux.

I would stay away from RH or Mandrake, since the compilier
is now non-GNU, and is somewhat troublesome on the
edition after 7.0, without severe patching.

Anyway, I think Tannebaum still teaches.  Send him or
Linux an email,they might be able to send you a reply,
with the attached original minix source :)

"m.w.chang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>AH.. FORGOT ABOUT MINIX! I did read about Mr. Trovald's story and forgot
>about that piece. lost marks in linux history... :(
>
>and how did the guy crated minix? where is that very core bootdisk?
>shouldn't linuxfromscratch begin from that very first bootdisk?  :)
>
>>>I think he meant, how do you create an OS when you have nothing.  Using
>>>Knoppix is kinda cheating, cause you're using the OS to create the OS.
>>>Linus didn't have Linux to self-host his original kernel.
>> right.. but he had minix.. which is where linux came from if Im not
>> mistaken.. NOT that he took minix and hacked it into linux, but that he
>> created linux ON minux..

---tm---
Linux Registration Number; 184093,
http://counter.li.org