Keith Antoine <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed thusly on Monday,
February 03, 2003 4:50 PM:

> English is not Changs' first language. I believe that it
> was not supposed to be taken as humerous, I did not. I
> believe he was comparing what came out of NASA as being
> the truth rather than often as is the case, coverups'
> from government agancies.. This was a tragic event and we
> all mourn a tragic accident. However as most who place
> themselves in harms way, they knew the dangers and
> accepted them. Where would we all be today if it were not
> for the likes of them.

I agree with Keith on this.  That was my initial take on his message.

> Ave! Gladiatorii.

Or, as they would have said, "Morituri te salutamus!"  The gladiators of old
Rome said this to the emperor before commencing, "We who are about to die
salute you."  In my work on the Space Shuttle program some years ago I
worked with some of the astronauts.  That was their attitude.  I'd bet that
if you told any crew going into space that their mission was going to be a
disaster they would choose to go anyway.

No progress was ever made by adhering to the status quo, nor by cowardice in
the face of the unknown.

In Harmony's Way, and In A Chord,

Tom  :-})

Thomas A. Condon