Feigning erudition, Rick Sivernell wrote:
% List
%
%    I have been watching this last bit of conversation with bated
% interest. I am using Caldera stuff still. But it appears I need to do
% some heavy consideration of moving to something else. At this time I
% have a lack of funds to buy much in OS's. I like the setup of the
% eServer/eWorkstation 3.1.1 systems, but they are starting to fall back
% in the stable side of cutting edge. While I do not want bleading edge,
% since I am still do college software design for one more year. I would
% like the opion of this list, no flames as I know we all love our
% stuff <g>.

Well, my disgust with SCOdera does not mean you should drop your usage
of it. Rather, it just means I don't want it in my house or on my systems.
I threw away a lot of software this morning, along with a number of
t-shirts.

If lack of funds is the issue, I can certainly burn you some CDs of a
couple of distributions and send them to you. Contact me offline if
you want to discuss this further.

% 1.  Should I stay with what I have and just upgrade it as I can to xfree
% 4.3 kernel 2.4.20.X gcc 3.2, I really do not care for kde and I am using
% xfce 3.18 xterm 3.19 ?

This is the lowest cost approach. I don't know how easy it will be nor
do I know how time-consuming it might be for you.

% 2. dump it and move to another distro.

This is the no-brainer approach, but might represent too much upheaval.

% System SCSI drives and cdroms NVida RNT2 video Asus P3 mobo.
% 750+ meg memory soundcard nic and some other general stuff.
%
% Any thoughts here as to what direct I might want to go. Cheers to all

Kurt
--
Our country has plenty of good five-cent cigars, but the trouble is
they charge fifteen cents for them.