On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 10:29:25 +0100
Roger Oberholtzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 15:20:59 -0700
> Collins Richey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I'm surprised that no one has done it yet.  It would not be a matter of
> > rocket science to distribute a gentoo based distribution from one or
> > more (different architecture) base home system.  Creating binary update
> > packages and/or complete replacement tarballs for distribution on CD
> > would be a relatively trivial undertaking.  Binary update CDs could
> > include a script to tailor anything desired.  The complete replacement
> > CDs would only require relatively trivial modifications to the gentoo
> > Livecd.
>
> I know that the binary update part of Gentoo would be OK. The problem is
> the initial install. It is not something one would want to do on a regular
> basis to many systems. It is this that I think is the major stumbling
> block for production use.

Yes, I was not clear enough.  What I was suggesting was to install gentoo once (per
machine image, P3, Athlon, etc.) on your base system(s) and then to make a tarball of
those systems to distribute to customers on CD.  You would then keep the mother
system(s) up to date and distribute new CDs at whatever interval you deem appropriate.
 Alternatively, for updates you could distribute the updates as binary ebuilds.

--
Collins