On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 17:08:09 -0700
Collins Richey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 10:29:25 +0100
> Roger Oberholtzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 15:20:59 -0700
> > Collins Richey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm surprised that no one has done it yet.  It would not be a matter
> > > of rocket science to distribute a gentoo based distribution from one
> > > or more (different architecture) base home system.  Creating binary
> > > update packages and/or complete replacement tarballs for distribution
> > > on CD would be a relatively trivial undertaking.  Binary update CDs
> > > could include a script to tailor anything desired.  The complete
> > > replacement CDs would only require relatively trivial modifications to
> > > the gentoo Livecd.
> >
> > I know that the binary update part of Gentoo would be OK. The problem is
> > the initial install. It is not something one would want to do on a
> > regular basis to many systems. It is this that I think is the major
> > stumbling block for production use.
> >

> Yes, I was not clear enough.  What I was suggesting was to install gentoo
> once (per machine image, P3, Athlon, etc.) on your base system(s) and then
> to make a tarball of those systems to distribute to customers on CD.  You
> would then keep the mother system(s) up to date and distribute new CDs at
> whatever interval you deem appropriate.  Alternatively, for updates you
> could distribute the updates as binary ebuilds.

The problem is that, despite our efforts, all systems have different
hardware. At one point, we were using Dell, as we thought that was all over
the place. Then, when a part broke, Dell should replace it, which they did.
However, always with different parts. So systems that started out the same
ended up different as a result of work done under warranty.

Also, system are bought at different times, and this will contain different
components.

Granted, it is limited to SCSI, ethernet and graphics (in our systems), but
this would require more expertise to deal with in a Gentoo install than in a
SuSE/RH/whatever that handles the hardware id rather ok.

I have not given up the idea. I just want to be clear on what the hurdles
will be before deciding to start out.

We have a policy that our developers use our product's OS. So, we are using
Caldera 3.1.1. (We still have UnixWare systems and do updates, but it is
being retired, so we do not require that anyone use it on a daily basis.)
I would be vary happy if I could use a system that is kept up to date.
Still, even though I would be able to do so, I could not reasonably do so if
I did not update all systems in the field. At least not still keeping with
the basic idea for the policy: we know everything about the exact software
in our customer's systems. I am sure we could change the policy, but we may
loose something.

--
· Roger Oberholtzer          ·   E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]        ·