Ok, so I tried removing the filter on strider (remember gandalf has the
printer, strider is a client trying to print to gandalf's printer; both run RH
8.0).  And I still see the same result.

The printcap now looks like:

lp:\
        :ml#0:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/lp.acct:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=gandalf.smacchia.net:\
        :rp=lp:

And when I do an lpq after trying to print, I see:

Printer: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (dest [EMAIL PROTECTED])
 Queue: no printable jobs in queue
 Server: no server active
 Rank   Owner/ID                  Class Job Files                 Size Time
error  [EMAIL PROTECTED]              A    29 ERROR: job removal requested
no connect permissions

Neither machine has a firewall and telnet, rsh, rlogin services are available
on gandalf.

Any help here is much appreciated.

=====