Hey Keith-

You might check "/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" and make sure it is set to "1"
(cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward).  Sometimes automated (anti)intelligent
agents like to fiddle with system parameters.

If no forward, no workie :)
This happened to me a while back where the firewall script that I ran kept
getting whacked by a "built in system agent" happily whacked my
ip_forward-ing.

HTH

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:28:58 -0500
ronnie gauthier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Back when mandrake 8.2 was out I was still on a dial up and it always barfed
> out and required a reboot. While the linux box continued to surf fine the
> other boxs hanging off the hub could not. I could stop and restart stuff
> till the cows came home and it still required a reboot. The freaking thing
> would just no longer act as a gateway. Cleared up when I added a Linksys
> router and used it as a gateway/firewall, imagine that. ;-) I blamed it on
> NAT.
>

> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:54:48 -0400 - Keith Antoine
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote the following
> Re: small network problem
>
> >Yougest daughter has cvome back home, do they all do that over the years?
> >She is online sharing from downstairs, in both linux and windows on this
> >machine. All too often she cannot access the web, I reboot and its fine,
> >this is in windows xp on hers and Mandrake for me. I did this earlier and
> >now she tries again and its not connecting, this machine is fine. Something
> >is flaky and it looks like mine.
> >
> >--
> >Keith Antoine (GANDALF) aka 'SKIPPY'
> >18 Arkana St, The Gap, Queensland 4061, Australia:: PH:61733002161
> >Practising Geriatric, Retired Electronics Engineer, Knowall, Brain in
> >storage

Matthew Carpenter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                          http://www.eisgr.com/

Enterprise Information Systems
*Network Service Appliances
*Network Consulting, Integration & Support
*Web Development and E-Business