Greets Keith,

--- Keith Antoine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am having to do some many hours of recoding vhs tapes to HD.
> Because it is
> far easier to use something like Power Director I am in XP for
> long times.
> The trouble is that daughter wants to get online, no real
> suprise, and I
> cannot shutdown and go to linux at the drop of a hat. I had it
> working on XP
> to XP but now the downstairs machine does not see out to the
> net.
>

> Settings: downstairs:-
> 192.168.1.2
> 255.2545.255.0
> GW 192.168.1.1
>
> Cannot ping upstairs machine
>
> Main Machine: LINUX
> eth0: 192.168.1.1
> 255.255.255.0
>
> Can ping the downstaris machine
>
> eth1:
> 210.49.48.75
> BC: 210.49.48.255
> 255.255.255.0
>
> As for the settings on this machine with XP will send that in
> a few minutes

As Lonni pointed out, you need to set up your
DNS ip's in XP.   If you don't, your XP boxes will
never traverse outside your internal home network, and
out onto the internet.

I think if your user setting has the rights, you can
adjust the settings for the NIC via...

Start  ==> My Network Places ==> Nic Device
   Advanced Settings => DNS settings.

{ something like that... doing it from memory, don't
   run any MS anymore here... }

I'd review your /etc/resolv.conf file, and glean the
IP's for XP box for what to fill in.   Looks like
you'll need a pencil and paper, since the computers
are on different floors.

HTH,