On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 06:41:57 -0400
Keith Antoine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 July 2003 12:09 pm, David A. Bandel wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 18:58:48 -0400
> > Keith Antoine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > If I can ping one way why not the other ?
> >
> > I've seen this stupidity from Windoze before.  Pings from Linux
> > work, but from XP, no.  Could be one of several things:
> > 1.  netmask on the XP computer
> > 2.  second interface the XP system wants to use instead of the
> > correct one (especially bad for gateway)
> > 3.  necessary service not installed (is this wired with Cat5 or a
> > wireless signal -- if wireless, you need QOS service installed)
> >
> > Review _all_ the networking stuff in XP.  Remove and reinstall all
> > of it if necessary.
> >
> > Ciao,
> >
> > David A. Bandel
>
> Will do, but it is Cat5 wired. Had a similar one with XP to XP
> sometime ago, the secondary sharer would not work so we resorted to a
> cable router. However this particular setup WILL NOT share the
> printer. We have it sort of going, send a print jab and it eventually
> prints after at least 15 -25 minutes. We have had 3 so called network
> experts try, most failed.

No.  You have networking UNIX style (the way over 100+ OSs do it,
including non-UNIX OSs) and there's M$' version of networking.  There
are no M$ networking experts, only MCSEs (with no clue how real
networking works).  I doubt any of the non-UNIX MCSEs could tell you
what tcpdump is, much less read the output.

Speaking of which, why don't you try to see what's going on w/ tcpdump?
On the Linux box, do this:

tcpdump -ni eth0 (assuming eth0 is connected to the XP box)
then, in another box, ping the XP box, then from the XP box ping the
Linux box.  You should first see arp who-has messages, then icmp
echo-requests and echo-replies.  If you have trouble reading it, just
redirect it to a file and e-mail it to me.

Ciao,

David-
                Nemesis Racing Team motto
GPG key autoresponder:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]