At 05:04 PM 22/07/2003 -0500, you wrote:

No.  You have networking UNIX style (the way over 100+ OSs do it,
including non-UNIX OSs) and there's M$' version of networking.  There
are no M$ networking experts, only MCSEs (with no clue how real
networking works).  I doubt any of the non-UNIX MCSEs could tell you
what tcpdump is, much less read the output.

Speaking of which, why don't you try to see what's going on w/ tcpdump?
On the Linux box, do this:

tcpdump -ni eth0 (assuming eth0 is connected to the XP box)
then, in another box, ping the XP box, then from the XP box ping the
Linux box.  You should first see arp who-has messages, then icmp
echo-requests and echo-replies.  If you have trouble reading it, just
redirect it to a file and e-mail it to me.

David,

again many thanks but I have thrown up my hands and bought a netgear router
FR114P with some bells and whistles. I now have daughters computer on the damd
net at last. I am also online with XP but NOT with linux. Sheesh its a either or situation!

The problem is with me not linux, however I did try using the mandrake gui connection
and I could not manage to get it to connect. Hence I cannot call up ifconfig but there
was no default gateway showing in ROUTE and only an ip of 192.168.0.0 on eth0.

When I got back to windows it would not connect and I had to go through the setup
proceedures once again. I presume that what I was fooling with stuffed the router settings.
There are no visible settings that i can use from windows that i can use in linux.

The ip of the router seems to be 192.168.0.1, used for http config. I have not ips for
downstairs computer either. Can I asume the this one would be 192.168.0.2 and the downstairs
192.168.0.3, or is this impossible. How can i find out what is using what ip's. Use ipconfig you say
but when i call it here a little black window flashes up and is gone in a flash.

One day I will have both online but its still frustrating, but at least i have a daughter
(monkey) off my back.

Skippy in windows.