-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Antoine [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 1:38 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

At 05:04 PM 22/07/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>No.  You have networking UNIX style (the way over 100+ OSs do it,
>including non-UNIX OSs) and there's M$' version of networking.  There
>are no M$ networking experts, only MCSEs (with no clue how real
>networking works).  I doubt any of the non-UNIX MCSEs could tell you
>what tcpdump is, much less read the output.
>
>Speaking of which, why don't you try to see what's going on w/ tcpdump?
>On the Linux box, do this:
>
>tcpdump -ni eth0 (assuming eth0 is connected to the XP box)
>then, in another box, ping the XP box, then from the XP box ping the
>Linux box.  You should first see arp who-has messages, then icmp
>echo-requests and echo-replies.  If you have trouble reading it, just
>redirect it to a file and e-mail it to me.

David,

again many thanks but I have thrown up my hands and bought a netgear router
FR114P with some bells and whistles. I now have daughters computer on the damd
net at last. I am also online with XP but NOT with linux. Sheesh its a
either or situation!

The problem is with me not linux, however I did try using the mandrake gui
connection
and I could not manage to get it to connect. Hence I cannot call up
ifconfig but there
was no default gateway showing in ROUTE and only an ip of 192.168.0.0 on eth0.

When I got back to windows it would not connect and I had to go through the
setup
proceedures once again. I presume that what I was fooling with stuffed the
router settings.
There are no visible settings that i can use from windows that i can use in
linux.

The ip of the router seems to be 192.168.0.1, used for http config. I have
not ips for
downstairs computer either. Can I asume the this one would be 192.168.0.2
and the downstairs
192.168.0.3, or is this impossible. How can i find out what is using what
ip's. Use ipconfig you say
but when i call it here a little black window flashes up and is gone in a
flash.

One day I will have both online but its still frustrating, but at least i
have a daughter
(monkey) off my back.

Skippy in windows.