On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:23:18 -0400
Matthew Carpenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Microsoft tries to automate it... but AUTO is a four-letter word,
> because AUTO only works part of the time.  And the AUTO methods tend
> to make you not consider some potential problem areas because they
> work sometimes.

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle.   M$ is not my favorite, but my
family likes it, and in my case with WinXP AUTO=DONE, and that's a four
letter word I can handle.  It beats hell out of the screwing around
I had to do for my Win98 machines.  WinXP probed the communications
setup, made the entries, and ping www.xxxxxx.com
worked out of the chute, as did finding the shared files and printer on
the dying Win98 box I was replacing.  Of course I have a plain-jane
Netgear router that's sitting atop my computer stand out of sight,
collecting dust, and working flawlessly delivering the sort of
absolutely standard DHCP, etc. that a communications lightweight like
myself might struggle to implement in a linux router.  In the case of
video support, however, AUTO=FSCK<groan>.

Since I loathe screwing around with Windows machines, I'm just glad that
M$ got this much right.  Other than to do backups now and then, I hope
never to need to touch the machine again.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the