On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:43:09 -0400 - Matthew Carpenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
the following
Re: Re: [OT] I can't belive this can be happen ????????

>I disagree here.  Linux is in the best position to kill Windows on the
>desktops and Servers...  There are market reasons for it.  But the BSD's can
>benefit from Linux code and be in the same position if they choose to, give
>time and some other Marketting Wave.

What do you disagree with? I said,
"
"

>As for IBM, I don't know if I'd say that they'll never get back the money
>they've invested in Linux...  Truth is, Linux is the glue which ties all their
>platforms together.  Linux will run on the pSeries (RS6000/AIX), the eSeries
>(AS400/OS400) and the zSeries (MVS/OS390), as well as all their Intel/Motorola
>hardware.  While this may force a cut in IBM's staff at some point, it makes

And before Linux is was AIX on those platforms.

>sense for IBM to centralize on Linux.  Why?  Because Microsoft doesn't run on
>most of those platforms.  There is a lot of business that Linux opens up to
>IBM.  Suddenly IBM's Big hardware can run the core File and Print, DNS, DHCP,
>and Web for any Fortune 500 company who needs the uptime and the power.  They
>are finding their huge hardware being ousted by systems that are cheaper to
>maintain.  Linux allows all their systems to keep basically one codebase (with
>minor exceptions) and that codebase isn't even theirs to maintain... and
>better yet, it doesn't cost them a cent.  IBM is a hardware and services
>company.  This is right up their alley.

I agree with this portion. IBM just dropped two low end windows storage
platforms this week.

But... all this and their outward support for Linux in no way means they would
not rather have the OS software revenue back, the R&D is basically done there.
By keeping quiet about SCO's media attack(which is really all it is so far) they
will not anger any existing or potential customers, just the opposite, they will
trust IBM as the company that finally bought SCO and resuced Linux. They only
want to slowdown development for a year or two to retrench *nix.

And just where is HP in all this? They will be one of the biggest winners in
this if Linux stalls.