Ken Moffat wrote:
Klaus-Peter Schrage wrote:

... to all Americans on this list for Lance Armstrong's fifth Tour de France victory.
I hope you know what I'm talking about - cycling doesn't seem to be very popular in the US, in spite of Lance.
For me, the TdF is the sports event of the year.
Klaus

Did you see the ride yesterday on that wet course? Or a few days ago when the rider fell and broke 3 bones? Quite an event. This is the first time I've watched a lot of it. I never thoght of cycling as that dangerous. Quite an event. Armstrong is quite an athlete. (as are they all).

Ken.
In the Kelowna to Penticton area, we have quite a few events involving cycling. One of the events, ski to sea, is a relay race that starts off as a downhill ski then cross-country ski -> mountain-bike -> track-bike -> canoe to finish. As a ham, I volunteer during these events (ski-sea we fuild about 100 to 120 operators) All along the course-route they have ambulances staged at what is deemed as danger points. Each year they have had to pickup and transport cyclist for medical attention. Some of these misshaps are real eye-openers as I never at one time thought that cycling could be that dangerous.

Lance has demonstrated throughout the race the courage and dedication to a sport (as you have pointed out here) that isn't all that popular or even well known in the US. This in my view makes his victory that much more meaningful. He has every reason to be proud, and all of you south of the 49th have every reason to be proud of him. Congrats...

--
Ted Ozolins (VE7TVO)
Westbank, B. C.