Hello,

In spite of 5 years in linux, I am new to sxs and to this ng.  I found you
because I was Googling for information on upgrading gcc and glibc, and I
found the excellent guidance at http://www.opq.se/sxs/index2.html. I have
also just found a couple of posts on the topic here.

I run LFS 3.3, which I installed last year (gcc 2.95.3 / glibc 2.2.5). My
system is very nicely sorted and up-to-date, except for the fact that gcc
and glibc have obviously moved on.

Whenever I have looked into this topic in the past I have become lost and
depressed in a mass of postings in other places warning about binary
incompatibilities, the need to recompile most or all of my libraries, the
danger of hosing my system entirely .. etc.  In short, and without meaning
any disrespect - the sxs guidance looks too good to be true.  Is it really
as easy as that? Won't I have to recompile most everything after the
upgrade? Any other gotchas?

I my system well backed up - so I am not worried about losing it - but I
don't want to get started only to screw up because the sxs guidance is
assuming something(s) I don't know.

Any observations?

Thanks,

Geoff