On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 20:34:02 -0400, Kurt Wall wrote:

<snip>

Thanks for responding Kurt.

> As the Llama wrote, you'd be hard-pressed to toast a running system just
> by upgrading GCC - the default installation procedure installs the new
> one into /usr/local, which keeps it from becoming the "system" compiler
> and keeps the potential for self-inflicted damages to a minimum. So,
> yes, installing GCC really is that easy; no, you won't have to recompile
> your libraries or applications. This is one area in which the received
> or conventional wisdom is incorrect. However, it wasn't always that way,
> and it is the memories of The Way It Used To Be (tm) that formed
> conventional wisdom.

You will see that I have responded to the Llama on most of this.  If you
have any comments on what I wrote there, I will be glad to see them.

<snip>
>  Unless you need something
> in the newer library that can't be shoehorned into the system without
> upgrading the entire library, I don't recommend doing so. An upgrade of
> this sort is not for the faint of heart.

I am not at all sure that I (yet) need anything in the current glibc.  I
have read the changelog and did not see anything I needed, but the writers
of changelogs are usually masters of understatement and I could very
easily miss something.  I have limited opportunities (during holidays), to
spend the time making major changes to a system that I use in my work on a
daily basis. Several of the applications I run have recently begun to
require gcc 3.x and I thought that, whilst I was installing that, I might
as well go the whole hog and give myself a little future-proofing against
the same thing happening with glibc.

>> I have my system well backed up - so I am not worried about losing it -
> >but
>> I don't want to get started only to screw up because the sxs guidance
>> is assuming something(s) I don't know.
>
> I might be overly cautious - I've broken systems many times upgrading
> the C library - but I would test the upgrade procedure you intend to use
> on a system you don't mind rebuilding if it goes badly before risking a
> more important box.

Famous last words, but I am pretty confident about my backup and rescue
procedures, which I test regularly.  As it happens another hdd has just
been released from an obsolete box I have, and I will replicate my system
to that and use it for any experiments.

Thanks again,

Geoff