On 08/13/03 17:28, Joel Hammer wrote:

As I recall, with redhat( 7.2 ?), out of the box, there was a big
warning in printcap to make no changes in the printcap file, since it
was generated fresh every time something started up, I think the system
or the printing daemon. I think that the configuration program ran
automatically. You weren't given a choice about it. I had to manually
disable the thing.

That is the sort of messing around I just won't tolerate. It makes a
linux distro incompatible with every other version of linux. It makes
offering good, generic advice impossible. It makes life miserable for
newbies. It frustrates experienced users, who are asked yet again to
master some obscure but crucial details of an important but difficult
subsystem like printing, one that they thought they had under control.

Just one reason why I stopped using Redhat.

I never ran into anything like when using RH-7.2. THe *only* mention i see in the RH-7.2 release notes of anything remotely close to what you're describing is:
The printconf-tui program can clear settings completely. For example:
printconf-tui --Xclear

Unless you've got a documented source for this behavior, please don't start FUD.

Joel