On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 08:57:12 -0500
"David A. Bandel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I know a lot of folks who don't want to patch their computers because
> some of these patches come with changed EULAs they don't want to
> accept.
>  Unfortunately, they also can't change over to Linux because some
> programs they use/need are only written for M$.  Catch-22.  Isolating
> these systems off-network is also not an option since many folks need
> to share the hundreds of files used by these systems with  offices in
> different countries.  Basically, they're screwed and just have to make
> do.  So they spend thousands hoping the anti-virus folks can keep up
> (which they can't).  A really lamentable situation.

The essential situation is this.  Using M$ products is a recipe for
disaster (when will the latest worm strike again?), in spite of the fact
that some of the products provide a useful function that is frequently
more user friendly than almost equivalent open source products.  So how
does one convince users that they need to look for ways to divest
themselves of the products they feel (some truth, some ignorance) they
cannot do without?

There are solutions in most cases, but most users are so locked into the
M$ mentality that they won't even make the effort.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the