On Sun, Aug 24, 2003, Net Llama! wrote:
>On 08/24/03 13:02, Alma J Wetzker wrote:
>>My guess is that they are not as involved as we would like to believe.
>>Much as SCO's blathering is to the benefit of M$, I don't think they are
>>orchestrating it.  Sun is also a backer of SCO with _LOTS_ to lose if
>>linux catches on.  Remember that Caldera was birthed by a lawsuit with
>>M$ over DR-DOS not working with Windoze.  (They won for big bucks.)
>
>Sun is between a rock and a hard place right now, as they despise M$, yet
>fear Linux.  They're not sure whether they want to fight a two fronted war
>at the moment, so they're riding the fence.

Sun also bought Cobalt which had some pretty decent commodity web
applicances that ran a somewhat basterdized Red Hat.  Unfortunately they
really haven't supported them, and I haven't seen anything special about
Sun's current Linux offerings.

It seems to me that Sun's major competition now is Linux on IBM mainframes.
The numbers I've seen show significant savings with large server
applications when using the mainframes running multiple Linux sessions (in
the 10s of thousands of Linux systems on a single mainframe).  When one is
working with that class of systems the physical plant becomes very
important, not to mention the support issues.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.

Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But
I repeat myself.  -- Mark Twain