On Sat, Sep 06, 2003, Collins Richey wrote:
>Yes, it is a no win situation.  My previous employer allowed no mail
>retrieval from the corporate network accept via the corporate Outlook
>system.  Inconvenient for a few, but it worked.  It still failed to
>protect them from the soBig virus <grin>.

SoBIG isn't the virus, Windows is.  I bet previous employer actually paid
to install the virus themselves.

>What all of us are describing is a more insidious thing.  Yes, there is
>lots of spam, but inventive mail filters can be devised to filter much
>of it to/dev/null...

Inventive mail filters are all well and good, but (a) they don't catch
everything (at least spamassassin doesn't), and (b) I still have to go
through my spam mailbox to weed out the false positives -- mostly html mail
from otherwise responsible people.  I typically find about 60 new messages
in my spam folder in the morning after clearing it out the previous
evening.

>..................  I'm only interested in the little guy: me.  My
>computer is not infected with anything, and I resent it when one of the
>big guys (you in this case, or anyone who subscribes to the kill
>anything in a broad range theory) decides to make my life difficult
>because I have a superficial resemblance (i.e. similar ip address) to
>someone who happens to be a bad guy.

Good, Fast, Cheap, pick two.  Cable providers are typically government
licensed monopolies (there isn't any other kind), so there's no choice in
any given region.  DSL is only marginally better as all connections have to
be done through the local telco monopoly, and the telcos make life
difficult for independent ISPs to offer DSL services, often slamming the
local ISP in an effort to get the customer to come to them direct.  In some
cases a non-telco ISP can provide their own DSL if they can get ``dry
copper'' connections through the telco, and provide the DSL equipment on
both ends, but the telcos really don't like losing the revenue so often
limit dry copper to alarm companies.

We do have regional ISP customers offering DSL, and actually making money
on it by providing quality service at somewhat higher prices than the
telcos.  They provide router boxes to all their DSL customers (LinkSys or
Netgear) which provide NAT, and firewalling rather than having to deal with
the support issues of open Windows boxes on high speed connections.

Bill

Government spending?  I don't know what it's all about.  I don't know
any more about this thing than an economist does, and, God knows, he
doesn't know much.
                -- Will Rogers