Brett I. Holcomb wrote:

I'm attempting to burn a bootable CD with XCDRoast (.98alpha10) and it's not working. I have an iso that I need to make into a bootable CD.

I follow the docs at the xcdroast.org site and set up the iso under the Write tracks section - it's selected, the layout is accepted and the iso shows up as being selected.

I then go to the Master tracks section and set it up for El Torito boot by pointing it to a 1.44 floppy image and telling it to make it bootable.

However, when I boot of the CD it says 2.88MB image and then "failed to boot". I know I'm overlooking something obvious here. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

This works for me and I have successfully used xcdroast to burn the resulting iso to be used as a bootable cd

  1. Create a directory in a convenient place
     mkdir $HOME/cd_build
  2. Create a subdirectory to hold the boot image
     mkdir cd_build/boot
  3. cd cd_build
  4. Copy the floppy image you want to boot from off the floppy
     dd if=/dev/fd0 of=boot/boot.img bs=1k count=1440
  5. Now add all the files you want burnt onto cd to the cd_build dir
  6. Run the command to create the iso image (don't forget the dot at
     the end)
     mkisofs -r -b boot/boot.img -c boot/boot.catalog -o bootcd.iso .
  7. Using your favourite burning software burn the bootcd.iso file to a CD

http://www.jamesmcdonald.id.au/faqs/mine/bootable_cd_linux.html