On 18 Sep 2003 at 18:59, dep boldly uttered:

> quoth Philip J. Koenig:
> | On 18 Sep 2003 at 10:56, Collins Richey boldly uttered:
> | > Homeland Security is scarcely the same as the Nazi SS.  Where and
> | > when, pray tell, have they descended upon any innocent group of
> | > citizens, knocking heads and breaking up property?
> |
> | The US government has already been detaining people simply because
> | they are of "middle eastern descent".  There was quite an uproar in
> | Southern California about this, and not by the people who are in
> | danger (because they're afraid of the consequences) but from other
> | citizens who are appalled by the police-state tactics.
> |
> | There have actually been a number of politicians who have suggested
> | we need to re-institute internment camps, just like we had in WWII.
> |
> | According to most historians, that was a pretty dark day in the US's
> | history, and here we have "community leaders" merrilly suggesting we
> | do it again.
>
> seems as if your allegations above are a little shy of specifics. which
> politicians have been suggesting the camps? where are the citations
> thereof?

CITATION #1:

> February 5, 2003
> N.C. Congressman OK With Internment Camps
> By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
>
> HIGH POINT, N.C. (AP) -- A congressman who heads a homeland security
> subcommittee said on a radio call-in program that he agreed with
> the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II.
>
> A fellow congressman who was interned as a child criticized Coble for his
> comment on Wednesday, as did advocacy groups. Rep. Howard Coble, R-N.C.,
> made the remark Tuesday on WKZL-FM when a caller suggested Arabs in the
> United States should be confined. Coble, chairman of the Judiciary
> Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security, said that he
> didn't agree with the caller but did agree with President Franklin D.
> Roosevelt, who established the internment camps. ``We were at war. They
> (Japanese-Americans) were an endangered species,'' Coble said. ``For many
> of these Japanese-Americans, it wasn't safe for them to be on the
> street.''
>
> Like most Arab-Americans today, Coble said, most
> Japanese-Americans during World War II were not America's enemies. Still,
> Coble said, Roosevelt had to consider the nation's security. ``Some
> probably were intent on doing harm to us,'' he said, ``just as some of
> these Arab-Americans are probably intent on doing harm to us.''
>
> U.S. Rep. Mike Honda, D-Calif., a Japanese-American who spent his
> early childhood with his family in an internment camp during World
> War II, said he spoke with Coble on Wednesday to learn more about
> his views. ``I'm disappointed that he really doesn't understand the
> impact of what he said,'' Honda said. ``With his leadership
> position in Congress, that kind of lack of understanding can lead
> people down the wrong path.''
>
> The Japanese American Citizens League called Coble on Wednesday and
> asked him to issue an apology, while the American-Arab Anti-
> Discrimination Committee demanded that Coble explain his remarks.
> It is ``a sad day in our country's tradition when an elected
> official ... openly agrees with an unconstitutional and racist
> policy long believed to be one of the darkest moments of America's
> history,'' the group said in a statement.
> ===============================

CITATION #2:

>Atty. Gen. John Ashcroft's announced desire for camps for U.S. citizens
>he deems to be "enemy combatants" has moved him from merely being a
>political embarrassment to being a constitutional menace.
>
>Ashcroft's plan, disclosed last week but little publicized, would allow
>him to order the indefinite incarceration of U.S. citizens and summarily
>strip them of their constitutional rights and access to the courts by
>declaring them enemy combatants... [more]

(Originally from LA Times)

CITATION #3:

> [...]
>
> That could be it.
>
> This might be a simple case of someone in the Bush administration
> having flunked geography, and thinking Armenia was a suburb of Tehran.
> If someone had made a movie called "My Big Fat Armenian Wedding," this
> probably wouldn't have happened. Other possible explanations? This was
> a wink and a nod to Turkey, a strategic ally that has a long history of
> conflict with Armenia. Or some mid-level weasel decided it would look
> bad to have only one other non-Muslim nation -- besides North Korea --
> on the list.
>
> "It's not geography or history or anything like that," insisted Harut
> Sassounian, publisher of the California Courier, a weekly newspaper
> based in Glendale and serving a national Armenian audience. "I happen
> to know through sources in Washington that it was initiated by someone
> in homeland security," said Sassounian, who insists there was an
> overreaction to a report that Armenia's borders are not "watertight."
>
> Whose are? Adding Armenia to the list was all the more absurd,
> Sassounian said, when you consider that some of its border countries
> aren't on the list even though they've been suspected of having
> terrorists in their midst. "The U.S. government has troops in Georgia
> right now to hunt down Al Qaeda members, and Georgia is not on the
> list," Sassounian said. "It's all games, politics and self-serving
> positions." If it weren't, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan would have been
> the first countries on the list, not the last. Saudi Arabia harbored or
> produced many of the Sept. 11 terrorists, and Pakistan is home to
> schools that are grooming the next generation of anti-American
> terrorists.
>
> Look, we wouldn't even need the fingerprinting and registration if the
> feds hadn't been asleep at the wheel for decades, and actually kept
> track of foreigners who were here temporarily. Now the Bush
> administration is playing catch-up, still rudderless, but trying to
> look like it's doing something useful by rounding up anybody who
> doesn't go to the same church as John Ashcroft or Tom Ridge.
>
> Does anybody think there's a terrorist dumb enough to go down to the
> local INS office and introduce himself? In the new world, I don't know
> too many people who would object to the government finally reforming
> immigration controls. But is it too much to ask for some consistency
> and logic, or for someone to articulate a coherent policy that doesn't
> remind us of internment camps? Why not put Spain and Germany on the
> list because of the Al Qaeda operatives in those countries? Why not all
> of Indonesia, which has the world's largest population of Muslims? Is
> it religion, geography or trade status that gets you on the list, or is
> someone in the White House throwing darts at a map? And can we really
> trust Canada?
>
> * Steve Lopez writes Sunday, Wednesday and Friday. Reach him at

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lopez18dec18.story

[END OF CITATIONS]

> who are the most historians of whom you speak, and where do
> historians register their view so that we can know that all historians
> have been heard?

I have little doubt it would make much impact on your avowed opinion,
so I'm not going to waste my time doing your research for you.

> i'm not at all certain that anything except the reputation of california
> is cemented by repeating wild and generally erroneous doobietalk of the
> sort you have proffered.

Open mouth, insert foot.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium