On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Michael Hipp wrote:

> Well, problem solved. Turns out things were NOT authenticating correctly
> on normal logins, hence ipop3d couldn't either. It fooled me because
> everything I was doing used ssh keys to get in.

I must have glossed over that part of your mail.  I thought your telnet
test did work.

> Anyway, it does not work to copy the user entries from /etc/passwd,
> /etc/shadow, /etc/group, /etc/gshadow from the old RH8 to the new
> install of RH9. No doubt there is something more to be done.

Interesting,  I certainly wouldn't have expected that behaviour either.

> Unless someone knows what it is, I'll just have to reset the other
> passwords manually.

Since I'm planning to go thru much the same upgrade on our mail server, I
did a test in copying one user's info; passwd, shadow, group, gshadow and
home, to the new server.  Logged in without errors.  I suspect your copy
process was flawed.

How did you copy that info?